Norwegian: Uttryk

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by Angelis, Nov 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Angelis

Angelis New Member

French
    Hei hei! Jeg har et sporsmal om betydningen av uttrykket "å tjene fett på"
    I've come across this expression while reading an article and after googling it I noticed it was used in several other articles. Apparently å tjene på means to earn (money) by doing (smth) so I thought "å tjene fett på" might mean "to earn big money" but I'm not sure. Maybe "fett" is just another word for "penger" and thus it would be the equivalent of "å tjene penger på" and doesn't not necessarily imply earning "big" money.
    Have you ever heard this expression?

Thanks in advance!

2. raumar Senior Member

Oslo, Norway
    Norwegian
    Hei!

You understand the meaning correctly, but I am afraid that you have misunderstood the grammar. "Fett" is not a noun, it is an adverb. A literal translation of "å tjene fett" would be something like "to earn/profit hugely", but "to earn big money" is a good English translation.

"Å tjene fett" is slang, but maybe on its way to getting accepted. The more conventional phrase is "å tjene grovt".

3. Svenke

Svenke Senior Member

Hordaland
    Norwegian
    I aree with raumar, but would like to add that fett is based on the adjective fet (feit) 'fat'. Used as an adverb, it literally means 'fatly'.

4. Angelis

Angelis New Member

French
    Thanks a bunch for your explanation! I still can't recognize adverbs when I see them haha...they go unnoticed compared to french and english ones! :rolleyes: