Norwegian: 'You're welcome' in a gift context

1000needles

English
Hei alle sammen!

How would you say, "you're welcome" in Norwegian, in the context of having given someone a present, and them having just said thanks for it?

I got the impression that "Værsågod" was used in the process of giving something to someone, or before they receive it... but can it be used afterwards? Is there a better way to do it?

Also, are there differences in how to say "You're welcome" depending on whether it was a gift or an action? Are "Bare hyggelig" and "Ingen årsak" used for actions only?

Thanks for any help! :)

• vestfoldlilja

Norwegian
    You’re right, vær så god is used by the person giving, passing or delivering something to someone; like a gift, salt at the dinner table or a post package. The correct term to reply to a thank you is bare hyggelig.

I think bare hyggelig & ingen årsak can both be used in relation to an action, while in relation to a gift only bare hyggelig.

Tusen takk for hjelpen – Thanks for your help.

Ingen årsak or alternatively, Ikke noe problem – No problem.

Bare hyggelig – You’re welcome.

--

Tusen takk for gaven – Thanks for the gift.

Bare hyggelig – You’re welcome.

:)

Grefsen

English - United States
    Welcome to the Nordic Language Forum 1000needles! :)

Hei alle sammen!

How would you say, "you're welcome" in Norwegian, in the context of having given someone a present, and them having just said thanks for it?

I got the impression that "Værsågod" was used in the process of giving something to someone, or before they receive it... but can it be used afterwards? Is there a better way to do it?

Also, are there differences in how to say "You're welcome" depending on whether it was a gift or an action? Are "Bare hyggelig" and "Ingen årsak" used for actions only?
    These are really good questions to ask in your very first post. :thumbsup: I hope you will become a regular contributor to this forum. :)

< Previous | Next >