not a crying dime between you

Noon2501

Arabic-Egypt
Hello,

Context:

"President Ferguson? Going to go out broke. Steve King? Broke. You guys? Broke. Not a crying dime between you."

This is an excerpt of Steven King's speech to a graduation class in 2001. He was talking about being generous and the importance of giving. Right before these lines, he says that we come with nothing and will leave with nothing. I need to understand this sentence "not a crying dime between you".

The word "between" confuses me here. I understand that it's an expression meaning "nothing at all". But what does "between you" mean in a sentence like this?

Thanks

Book: Leadershift
Author: John Maxwell

Thanks!

• Logos_

English - America
    Crying is a negative intensifier. It means that even if the two of you combined your resources, the sum would not even amount to a single dime.

This is the specific meaning of between in this usage:
    by combining the resources or actions of (two or more people or other entities).
    "we have created something between us"

• shared by (two or more people or things).
      "they had drunk between them a bottle of Chianti"

Noon2501

Arabic-Egypt
    Crying is a negative intensifier. It means that even if the two of you combined your resources, the sum would not even amount to a single dime.

This is the specific meaning of between in this usage:
    by combining the resources or actions of (two or more people or other entities).
    "we have created something between us"

• shared by (two or more people or things).
      "they had drunk between them a bottle of Chianti"
    Does it have the same meaning as "among" here?

< Previous | Next >