Not a reality we typically see reflected on television

park sang joon

Korean
The Toronto Star's Tony Wong writes: "The show is good. Possibly even great. The dialogue is sharp, on point and borderline subversive. It has bite...It’s funny and true, but not a reality we typically see reflected on television."
<Reception in Kim's Convenience (TV series) from WikiPedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim%27s_Convenience_(TV_series)>
I'd like to know if I can rephrase the underlined clause to the following.
"It's funny and it's content is true, but we don't typically see any realities when those kind of situations are reflected on television."
Thank you in advance for your help.

• se16teddy

English - England
    I take it to mean that such realities are almost never otherwise reflected on television. The show reflects reality, but not a kind of reality that is typically reflected on television.

It could alternatively mean that it does not reflect reality, but that would conflict with the statement that the show is "true".

park sang joon

Korean
    Thank you, se16teddy, for your so very helpful answer. :)
    I thought "a reality" is the fronted object of see.
    Then I was wondering if "but not a reality we typically see" means "but it(true)'s not a reality (that) we typically see."

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    The show (or perhaps the dialogue) is true (realistic), but [it isn't] a reality [that] we usually see on TV. "A reality" is loosely equated with "the show's being true".

I suppose the writer is making a distinction between this show, which is "reality" in that it really is true to life - and the so-called "reality" shows that are typically shown on TV.

< Previous | Next >