Not all good leaders are bossy

pointphoton

Turkish
Hi,

I want to ask a question . Has "Not all good leaders are bossy" got the same meaning with "All good leaders are not bossy"?

I think that, "Not all good leaders are bossy" may have the covered meaning, that is to say, whilst some leaders are bossy , some leaders are not bossy; On the other hand "All good leaders are not bossy" is equal to " None of them are bossy". Are these right?

Thanks.

• dreamlike

Polish
    Yes, you have a point. :thumbsup:

Not all good leaders are bossy. = It is not the case that all good leaders are bossy. Some of them might be, some of them not.
    All good leaders are not bossy. = it is a condition for good leaders not to be bossy. You can't be deemed one if you are bossy.

That's how I'd read these sentences.

Packard

USA, English
    I don't see this as a language issue as much as a philosophical one.

Teddy Roosevelt summed it up pretty well and I think it will resolve most of these questions:

People ask the difference between a leader and a boss. The leader leads, and the boss drives.
    Theodore Roosevelt

Loob

English UK
    Hi pointphoton

It's 100% clear to me that "Not all good leaders are bossy" means "some good leaders are bossy, some aren't".

However, "All good leaders are not bossy" has two possible meanings:
    Meaning (1) Not all good leaders are bossy = some are bossy, some aren't.
    Meaning (2) No good leaders are bossy = everyone who is a good leader is not bossy.

< Previous | Next >