not...anymore ; no longer ; not...any longer

Discussion in 'English Only' started by hamlet, Feb 2, 2007.

1. hamlet Senior Member

Paris
    Français (FR)
    I have a few questions about those words : firstly which is the correct form between "anymore" and "any more" and then if you can say "no longer" and "not...any longer" with no meaning difference, can you also say "no more". E.g.: I'm not doing this anymore --> I'm no more doing this? This sounds wrong to me but logically it should be correct, shouldn't it? Thanks for your help

2. river Senior Member

U.S. English
    Anymore (adverb) means "any longer" (I don't work there anymore).
    Any more (adjective or pronoun) means "additional" (I haven't received any more requests).

3. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod (English Only)

Well, I'll try on the "anymore/any more" distinction. Each is correct for its own meaning.

In a store, for example:

"Do you have any more eggs?" = "Do you have additional eggs (besides the ones I've already seen/bought/picked up?)"

"Do you have eggs anymore?" = "Do you still carry/stock eggs in this store?"

In a travel agency:

"Do you offer any more tours?" = Do you offer additional tours besides the ones you've already mentioned?

"Do you offer tours anymore?" = Do you still offer tours or have you discontinued that service?

Those may not be the best examples. My head is a little fuzzy this morning. :)

Spoken to a friend about another friend:

"I don't talk with her any more than I used to." = I have not increased the frequency of talks I have with her on a regular basis.

"I don't talk with her anymore." = I have stopped talking to her entirely, or I no longer talk with her.

The two are spoken in a very similar way. I think that's why many native speakers make the mistake of substituting one for the other when writing.

There's on old joke that plays on the similarity of the words. The comedian says, "I don't drink anymore. (pause) I don't drink any less, either."

4. hamlet Senior Member

Paris
    Français (FR)
    Thanks. And what about the no more/not anymore thing? Any idea?

5. sloopjc Senior Member

UK English
    Let me divulge..

Q."Do we have any more?"
    A. "No, there are no more left.

You can also say, "No, there aren't any more left"
    - though usually you would just say, "No, there aren't any left"

Do you still drive?

"No, not anymore"

Not anymore is generally in reply to a question in case of no longer.

6. panjandrum

panjandrum Occasional Moderator

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Formore about any more and anymore:
    Anymore or any more?: Merged

To summarise, in BE we don't have a problem because we don't, generally, use the one word version, anymore.

7. hamlet Senior Member

Paris
    Français (FR)
    but you couldn't say "no more" in this case, right?

8. sloopjc Senior Member

UK English
    Some English dialects might say "I don't drive no more". Generally, this is bad English and to be avoided. However, you would say: "I want no more of this nonsense!". Confused?