not appear on set at the same time

keramus

Persian
Hello everybody

An actress and an actor were in a relationship for 2 years. Then, relationship ended in a horrible way.
A director called the actress and asked her to play in his movie. The director also said that the actress's ex-partner will play in that movie.
At first , the actress turned the director down but finally she agreed to play as long as she and her ex-boyfriend don't appear on set at the same time so they won't see each other during the shooting.

Please tell me your opinion about the highlighted part.

• Sparky Malarky

English - US
    Does the highlighted part sound correct and natural in English?
    I mean: as long as she and her ex-boyfriend don't appear on set at the same time
    This is correct, but I would not say "...appear on set...." She is appearing in the movie. She will have to be on the set in order to be filmed, but she does not want to meet her ex.
    She agreed as long as she and her ex-boyfriend don't have to be on set at the same time.

The Newt

English - US
    Does the highlighted part sound correct and natural in English?
    I mean: as long as she and her ex-boyfriend don't appear on set at the same time
    Yes, as long as the shooting of the movie hasn't finished. If it has, then you would have to say "didn't" or "wouldn't" instead of "don't." Is that what you were concerned about?

The Newt

English - US
    This is correct, but I would not say "...appear on set...." She is appearing in the movie. She will have to be on the set in order to be filmed, but she does not want to meet her ex.
    She agreed as long as she and her ex-boyfriend don't have to be on set at the same time.
    I think "appear on set" is movie lingo, the equivalent of "appear onstage" in the theatre.

< Previous | Next >