not as much as

thetazuo

Chinese - China
The food supplies amazed her but did not reassure her as much as she might have thought: the Donner Party kept recurring to her, not with thoughts of cannibalism (with all this food it would indeed be a long time before they were reduced to such poor rations as each other), but with the reinforced idea that this was indeed a serious business: when snow fell, getting out of here would not be a matter of an hour's drive to Sidewinder but a major operation.

Hi. This novel is from the novel The Shining. Would you please tell me how I should understand the bold part?

Thank you.

• thetazuo

Chinese - China
    Thank you. But can I understand it this way?
    This is how I interpret this part:
    The food supplies amazed her but less reassured her than she might have thought...
    OR The food supplies amazed her but did not so much reassured her as she might have thought...

thetazuo

Chinese - China
    The word order needs to be "..but reassured her less than she might have thought" or ..but she was less reassured that she might have thought.
    Many thanks. But is the part in red a typo? Did you try to write "but she was less reassured than she might have thought"?

thetazuo

Chinese - China
    Yes, a typo. Sorry :oops:
    It's ok. So what about my versions? Do they express different meanings from the original in the op?
    1. The food supplies amazed her but less reassured her than she might have thought...
    2. The food supplies amazed her but did not so much reassured her as she might have thought...

thetazuo

Chinese - China
    1. This word order does not make since which is why I offered alternatives.

2. "did not so much reassured her" is incorrect, it would need to be "reassure her [without the d] However, this "so much XXX as" changes the meaning completely and would not be applicable here; see this link not so much — as — - definition of not so much — as — in English | Oxford Dictionaries
    Thank you. But another native English teacher told me my understanding in #3 was correct. But I think your and Barque's answers also make good sense. So now I am confused as to this question.:confused:

< Previous | Next >