...not consistent with=out of keeping with...

< Previous | Next >

audiolaik

Polish
Hi,

Paraphrasing the structure ... it is not consistent with one can say it is out of keeping with....

The question that arises is what would be used if talking about the opposite situation, namely .... it is consistent with (it is in keeping with?)

Thanks!

• audiolaik

Polish
    So I'm in the soup...on account of the fact I gave such an answer to my students this morning.

Is it grammatically incorrect to use the phrase???

Loob

English UK
    I have no difficult with "it's out of keeping with...", audiolaik.

And yes, the opposite would be "it's in keeping with..."

Loob

se16teddy

English - England
    I suspect that these phrases are usually used in different contexts. To me, X is not consistent with Y usually means that either X is false or Y is false; but X is not in keeping with Y means that X does not accord with the principle, mores etc of Y.

Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
    My dictionary gives both:

be out of keeping/not be in keeping

[verb phrase] to not seem right or suitable when seen together with something else that is very different in style or character
    Serious poetry published in newspapers always seems slightly out of keeping.

be out of keeping/not be in keeping with
    Those new windows are not really in keeping with the style of the house.
    The cheerful cover of the diary was out of keeping with the thoughts I was recording inside.
    Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English

Also I think that in the first example from my dictionary not consistent with wouldn't work (but please correct me someone if I'm wrong).

Tom

< Previous | Next >