not far away from a draw

houshdaran

Banned
persian
Hello.
In "Chess Recipes from the Grandmaster's Kitchen", GM Valeri beim gives a position, suggest a series of moves, and then says:

"Now the game isn't far away from a draw"

What does he really mean?Draw is not a place!

• houshdaran

Banned
    persian
    A draw is a position where neither player has won. In Chess, this can happen in a number of ways, like when the same moves have been repeated three times in a row, etc.
    You are right.But my question was not the meaning of 'draw';rather it was the meaning of 'far away from a draw'

Copyright

American English
    The expression doesn't just apply to a place:

The jury was not far away from a verdict.
    You are not far away from a promotion.
    We are not far away from reaching our goal.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I agree with Renaissance Man's explanation of the meaning, though I would explain "not far from" as an understatement. In a few moves the game will be a draw.

I find "far away from a draw" slightly odd. I would expect "far from a draw" for this metaphoric use of "far". At least, I think that is what we usually say.

Copyright

American English
    and 'far' is just an intensifier?
    No, it's a measure of the distance (in time or space) that you are away from something.

I think that it is an intensifier in RM's examples: "You're far too kind." "That's far too expensive for me." But in this case, the expression is "far away from" or "far from." (But since Cagey agrees with RM, perhaps this is a unique viewpoint. :))

And I do agree with Cagey that "far from" is more usually seen and heard.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I meant that Renaissance Man and I agree about the number of moves.

We don't see the use of 'far' the same way.

< Previous | Next >