Not home.

nagomi

Korean
"And when you look in New York, for example, with Jamaal Bowman doing so well against Eliot Engel, who'd been in the House as the foreign affairs chairman for 32 years - you know, really had a couple big miscues, a couple missteps, wasn't home during coronavirus"

What does "wasn't home" mean here?

This is part of a news report about campaign trail and that seems to be why it's with some dangling participles.

source: Black Progressive Candidates Win Support In Primary Elections

• TheMahiMahi

English - United States
    that seems to be why it's with some dangling participles.
    Well it's a transcript of spoken language, and people speak in sentence fragments all the time so don't worry about that.

you know, really had a couple big miscues, a couple missteps, wasn't home during coronavirus"
    Domenico Montanaro is talking about Eliot Engel. He is losing support from his voters to his opponent Jamaal Bowman. The reason for this is that he is making some mistakes.

I take "wasn't home during coronavirus" to mean that Engel was living in Washington D.C., not in his home state of New York during coronavirus, and therefore did not offer his people much support.

nagomi

Korean
    Well it's a transcript of spoken language, and people speak in sentence fragments all the time so don't worry about that.

Domenico Montanaro is talking about Eliot Engel. He is losing support from his voters to his opponent Jamaal Bowman. The reason for this is that he is making some mistakes.

I take "wasn't home during coronavirus" to mean that Engel was living in Washington D.C., not in his home state of New York during coronavirus, and therefore did not offer his people much support.
    Thank you for reading into that deep. I would never be able to imagine that "home" is the home. I instinctively searched for what might be connected to "wasn't home" phrase in the earlier part.

< Previous | Next >