not in the least ...

novice_81

German
Hi

In The Good Energy Book, Tess Whitehurst writes about mirrors. She says: Mirrors are among the most mystical of objects, not in the least because they can absorb the energy of situations and environments they reflect.

--- Is the author saying that mirrors are mystical objects, but not because they can absorb the energy of situations and environments they reflect? There is some other reason for their mysticism.

• suzi br

English / England
    She means "partly because" they can absorb energy. She uses not in the least as an indication that this is NOT the smallest reason, i.e. it is a significant reason, amongst others.

owlman5

English-US
    Whitehurst is telling you that absorbing this energy is one of the mirror's powers. This ability to absorb energy is not the least of its powers. It has other powers that are not as significant.

Because mirrors have many powers, they are among the most mystical of objects.

Does that make sense to you?

sound shift

English - England
    To me, "not in the least" means "not in any way", "not in the slightest". This is clearly not the intended meaning of the "not in the least" quoted here and I think the intended meaning could have been expressed by "not least". I agree with suzi br about the intended meaning: there are various reasons why mirrors are the most mystical of objects, and the fact that they can absorb energy is not the smallest of these reasons.

< Previous | Next >