(Not) Know how to lose Vs be a good/bad loser

Xavier da Silva

Hello everyone,

What would be the diference between "(not) know how to lose" and "be a good/bad loser" in contexts like the ones (mine) below?

a. I'm a good loser. I mean, when I don't win, I don't complain in public or try to harm my opponent.
b. He's a bad loser. When he doesn't win, he is nasty, unfair and annoying just because he lost.

Vs

c. I know how to lose. I mean, when I don't win, I don't complain in public or try to harm my opponent.
d. He doesn't know how to lose. When he doesn't win, he is nasty, unfair and annoying just because he lost.

Meaning intended: to behave well or badly when you lose.

P.S: I think these expressions are synonymous. What do you think?

Thank you in advance!

• sdgraham

USA English
    c. I know how to lose. I mean, when I don't win, I don't complain in public or try to harm my opponent.
    d. He doesn't know how to lose. When he doesn't win, he is nasty, unfair and annoying just because he lost.
    I would not use these expressions in the context you present.Others might, however.

(I tend to take things literally)

MarcB

US English
    I would not use these expressions in the context you present.Others might, however.

(I tend to take things literally)
    I agree with sdgraham don't use these. I often hear he/she is a sore loser for your context. Good or bad loser can also be used.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >