<not like> having a sock here means you can't get rid of me

Discussion in 'English Only' started by VicNicSor, Oct 11, 2017.

1. VicNicSor

VicNicSor Senior Member

Russia
    Russian
    After having a relationship with a guy for 8 months she still don't consider him her boyfriend. And says to him he's got to leave now, even though he'd rather stay. Then he asks if he may keep a pair of jeans at her place. She says no. Then he asks how about one sock.
    REBECCA: What are you gonna do with just one sock?
    BRET: Is that a yes?
    REBECCA: No! Get out of here. I have work tomorrow.
    BRET: Not like having a sock here means you can't get rid of me. Socks are not anchors.
    Lights Out, movie

Does it mean: "It's not that I want to leave a sock here because I want you to not be able to get rid of me." ?
    Thank you.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  2. Florentia52

Florentia52 Modwoman in the attic

Wisconsin
    English - United States
    I think so, though your sentence is a bit hard to wade through. I would rephrase the original sentence as "You can still get rid of me even if I leave a sock here." Your version implies some intention on Bret's part that is not in the original.

3. VicNicSor

VicNicSor Senior Member

Russia
    Russian
    That's shorter and clearer, indeed. Thank you.
    Maybe my wording wasn't very clear, I meant:
    "The reason why I want to leave a sock here is not because I want you to not be able to get rid of me."
    Is that better?...

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  4. Florentia52

Florentia52 Modwoman in the attic

Wisconsin
    English - United States
    I understand your point, but I still disagree. Bret isn't saying anything about his motivation or what he wants.He's simply saying that a sock left behind won't keep Rebecca from getting rid of him.

5. VicNicSor

VicNicSor Senior Member

Russia
    Russian