not my bag/thing (AmE and BrE)

< Previous | Next >

susanna76

Romanian
Hi,

I was watching the British TV show Cold Feet and heard the sentence "Horse racing . . . it's not really her bag."

I got what it meant (it wasn't that difficult) but then wondered if I ever heard it in AmE. Is it used in AmE at all?

I checked in COCA and found one mention of it -- here:
It used to be " No, that's not my bag " --meaning not my thing. But now " my bag " means " my fault.

[Does "bag" ever mean fault? Or is he referring to "my bad" perhaps?]

Thank you!

Last edited:
  • Egmont

English - U.S.
    This was a popular phrase in AE several decades ago (when I was young). Today, it would probably sound dated or sound as if someone was trying too hard to be informal, but you might hear it once in a while.

I've never heard it to mean "my fault." I agree that someone might have said "my bad" and was misheard.

Last edited:

susanna76

Romanian
    Hi Andy, I don't. It was in a passage I found in the COCA corpus. I realized upon reading your post that my OP wasn't very clear about that, so I edited it. Thank you!

Andygc

British English
    Did you follow through to the source of the quotation? It's listed in COCA as from a 1999 film The Curse and is part of a strange conversation about various meanings of "bag" (at least one other of which is ludicrous). I don't believe that "it's not my bag" ever means "it's not my fault."

COCA=Corpus of Contemporary American English.

< Previous | Next >