'Not only A but also B' sentence

wowow

한국어-ROK
Hello,
I saw this sentence in my grammar book, but I am not sure it is correct to use 'believe' here.

Here is the sentence:
In order to achieve his goals, Jobs rejected and ignored not only reality but also belived that no existing rules applied to him and made seemingly impossible tasks possible.

My grammar book, which is in Korean, says 'rejected and ignored' and 'believed' are correctly used in this sentence. But I thought it should be either 'Jobs rejected and ignored not only reality but also belief ~' or 'Jobs not only rejected and ignored reality but also believed that~' to make the sentence balanced. (I understand these two sentences have different meanings.)

I'd like to know if the original sentence sounds fine to you and gramatically correct.

Thank you so much for your time:)

• Rhye

English - American
    The original sentence is grammatically fine, but your suggestions are also good if you slightly alter the first one: "Jobs rejected and ignored not only reality but also the belief that..."

The "not only" can be placed either before (as you suggested) or after (as the grammar book suggested) the verbs; it makes no difference to the meaning of the sentence.

wowow

한국어-ROK
    The original sentence is grammatically fine, but your suggestions are also good if you slightly alter the first one: "Jobs rejected and ignored not only reality but also the belief that..."

The "not only" can be placed either before (as you suggested) or after (as the grammar book suggested) the verbs; it makes no difference to the meaning of the sentence.
    Thank you so much for your your quick reply. I've seen many 'not only' sentences, but it was the tricky one that made me confused. I didn't know it is okay to use 'not only' in that way.
    Thanks alot!

manfy

German - Austria
    but your suggestions are also good if you slightly alter the first one:
    Agreed -- except that you need to change it a little bit more, unless you're happy with expressing the exact opposite:
    Jobs not only rejected A but also believed that he can do B.
    vs.
    Jobs not only rejected A but also the belief that he can do B. -> Here he's rejecting A AND the belief of being able to do B!

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I think manfy makes an important distinction.

It's subtle, but makes all the difference.

For the OP, I would retain "believed".

It's not a classic: not only ... but also

(Which I understand the query to be about.)

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    In order to achieve his goals, Jobs rejected and ignored not only reality but also believed that no existing rules applied to him and made seemingly impossible tasks possible.

The original sentence is not grammatically fine. There's nothing wrong with "believed", but there are other errors: "not only" is wrongly positioned, and "made" has no clear subject.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    In order to achieve his goals, Jobs rejected and ignored not only reality but also believed that no existing rules applied to him and made seemingly impossible tasks possible.
    I think the beef comes with it being parallel or not.

not only [noun] but also [verb]

I think purists take issue with that.

I don't.

Ivan_I

Russian
    Which is better?

She speaks not only English, but she also speaks French.
    She speaks not only English, but she speaks also French.

lingobingo

English - England
    Neither is good. We don’t repeat subject and verb unnecessarily. But the main requirement with “not only … but also …” is that what follows is expressed in the same form in both cases.

She speaks not only English but French. :tick:

She not only speaks English, she also speaks French. :tick:

< Previous | Next >