Not only entertaining but also teach very good lessons.

sagar grammar

Namaste,
Dear members.

I have to find an error in this sentence.
The sentence has four parts, one of them has an error and need some correction.

1- These stories are not (A) / only entertaining but also (B) / teach very good lessons. (C) / no error (D).

To me there seem to be some mistake in part C that V1 is making me crazy, but I can't correct it.
Help...

Thanks in advance.

• witchqueen

English (US)
    The reason "teach" in part C sounds weird is because it doesn't follow the structure established in part A. Not only/but also phrases should match in their sentence structure.

These stories are not only entertaining but also teach very good lessons.

Entertaining
    is just an adjective, while teach very good lessons is a whole verb phrase. They don't match, and that's why the sentence feels off kilter. If you were to separate out the clauses, it would be like "These stories are teach very good lessons." Obviously that's not a proper sentence.

To fix it you could say: Not only are these stories entertaining, but they also teach very good lessons. Since the verb follows the not only/but also tags on both sides of the sentence, their structure now matches.

I'm not sure what answer the exercise is trying to elicit, though.

lingobingo

English - England
    That’s the point I was planning to make, of course. But if the task is to make a change within one of those sections, moving “not only” to the beginning doesn’t seem to be an option? In other words, not and only fall into two different sections.

I’m tempted to think they want C changed to an adjective.

< Previous | Next >