Not only must everything be up to scratch, but she takes our efforts for granted!

< Previous | Next >
  • Padraig

Hiberno-English, Irish Gaelic
    Citrouille, you are joining two things that do not hang well together. Let me simplify so that it might be clear: 1. Everything must be up to scratch; 2. She takes our efforts for granted.

For consistency in style, I think you need to make one of the changes: 1. She wants everything to be up to scratch; or 2. Our efforts are taken for granted. Probably the former.

Not only does she want everything to be up to scratch, but she also takes our efforts for granted. [Not only ... but also ... is an established format that is very useful.]

totallylost202

England, English
    Citrouille:

You can, but it's better that the 'but' stays there. :D

There are several ways to say it:

Not only must everything be up to scratch, but she takes our efforts for granted !

Not only must everything be up to scratch, she also takes our efforts for granted ! (My favourite ;) )

Not only must everything be up to scratch, but she also takes our efforts for granted! (I wouldn't use this one as much)

Not only must everything be up to scratch, she takes our efforts for granted too!

< Previous | Next >