not painted (nail polish)

kyotan

Japanese 標準語
大家好!

Your nails grow day by day. So if you use nail polish, by the fifth day, there will be some area where they are not covered by nail polish, where your nails have newly grown. (The bottom of your nails.)

In English, I would say "There is some space at the bottom where it's not painted."

用中文怎么说呢?
I could think of "我指甲有个没有被染指甲油的地方" but I don't think it's correct. I searched for some lingo and came across 做美甲 so I could also try to use it and say "我指甲有个没做过美甲的地方" but I don't know if this is any close to how native speaker will say.

谢谢。

• SimonTsai

Taiwanese Mandarin
    I have never applied nail varnish, so I am not very sure:

我指甲靠近根部的地方,需要補染。

SuperXW

Original sentence: There is some space at the bottom where it's not painted.
    I assume you only want to narrate the fact neutrally, not asking for any feedback or taking any action.

Formal, grammatical but unnatural translation for daily usage: 我指甲有个没有被染指甲油的地方, 我指甲有个没做过美甲的地方
    Note: complicate attributive “where…” is not good for Chinese. The structure (没有被…的地方) is way too formal.

Natural translation: 我指甲下方有的地方没有染到指甲油。
    Note: the natural Chinese structure for this should be 什么(some space at the bottom of my nail)-怎么样(is not painted).

SimonTsai

Taiwanese Mandarin
    我指甲下方
    I feel surprised that Mr Google shows me that some refer to the crescent-shaped area of nails, or lunula, as 指甲下方.

Personally, I would understand 下方 as the underneath:
    指甲的上方有隻小蟲爬過。​
    指甲的下方容易藏汙納垢。​
    有的地方没染到指甲油
    and 指甲油 are both omissible.

brofeelgood

English, 中文
    To apply nail polish: 涂指甲油 or 上指甲油.
    Lunula: 月牙 or 月牙白.

月牙白一小截没涂上(指甲油).

SuperXW

英文原句也没说lunula(而是some space at the bottom),日常也不是每个人都要用这种词,我觉得说“指甲下方”甚至“下面”都可以理解。

< Previous | Next >