not published ... <even before, ever since, until after, until before> his tragic death

< Previous | Next >

angela.fan

China Chinese/English
Hi All,

I met a confused problem. I got the correct answer but i don't know why? Why "C" is wrong here?

Could you give me a little hint?

Question:

Most of his great novels and plays were not published or known to the public_____ his tragic death in 1786.
A. even before B. ever since C. until after D. until before

Thanks in advance

Angela

• Lizziewoo

England/English
    Can you explain whether his novels were known before or after his death? (for the correct answer this is needed, thanks!)

If it is after you would use until after and if his novels were known before his death you would say even before.

M56

Banned
    Britain. English.
    angela.fan said:
    Hi All,

I met a confused problem. I got the correct answer but i don't know why? Why "C" is wrong here?

Question:

Most of his great novels and plays were not published or known to the public_____ his tragic death in 1786.

Thanks in advance

Angela
    The sentence looks at the time before his death and is saying that he was not fully published during his lifetime. The correct "until after" helps express that fact.

If you want to use "ever since", it would be a different sentence and focus. The focus would then be on the period after his death.

angela.fan

China Chinese/English
    Hi,

It appears in the Master exam. First, i think "until after" maybe can perfact the whole sentence meaning. But there is a time point "in 1786". I am not sure if "after" can be followed by a time point?

Angela

te gato

Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    angela.fan said:
    Hi All,

Question:

Thanks in advance

Angela
    It would be 'until after'..Yes it is followed by a time point but it is not the time point that is being described...it is his tragic death..
    'His novels and plays were not published until after his death...'in 1786' is just an add-on.
    tg

< Previous | Next >