not requested

Phi

USA
Arabic
I'm not sure if 'not requested' is correct here.'Jack , we don't have to give them not requested information. By doing so we will make the letter too busy. '

• JamesM

"Unrequested" would make more sense to me in this context. In conversation I would expect "We don't have to give them information they didn't ask for." or "We don't have to give them any(thing) more than they asked for."

It would work if you rearrange the words in the sentence: "We don't have to give them information not requested." JamesM's suggestions are much better, though.

Another brief way to state it is, "We don't have to give any extra information," but extra doesn't specifically mean that it wasn't requested.

Phi

USA
    Arabic
    very nice suggestions. I am just curious to know that if ' not requested' is wrong or just unnatural thanks

JamesM

I hesitate to say "wrong" but in this case I would say that "give them not requested information" is an incorrect word order. Tricksy's word order switch makes it acceptable. It still sounds unnatural to me, even with the change in word order.

"Not requested" in this context sounds as odd to me as:

"I just finished reading my not read mail (instead of unread mail)."
    "I have some not finished business with you (instead of unfinished business)."
    "You appear to have some not reported income (instead of unreported income)."

If there is an "un-" version of the word I would always use that as an adjective rather than sticking "not" in the sentence.

< Previous | Next >