<Video clip removed by moderator (Florentia52)>

Jim ;How old do you think I am?
Woman; 40?Are you someone’s dad here??
Jim ; Not that I know of.←

What does that mean?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • kansi

japanese
    It is a joke. It means he might have fathered a child who works here, but if he did, he doesn't know about him/her.
    I mean, I get that but that's not a sentence so there sould be omitted parts. What are the parts?

Andygc

British English
    Yes it is a sentence. Nothing is omitted. Random House in the Wordreference dictionary
    a grammatical unit of one or more words, bearing minimal syntactic relation to the words that precede or follow it, often preceded and followed in speech by pauses, having one of a small number of characteristic intonation patterns, and typically expressing an independent statement, question, request, command, etc.,

kansi

japanese
    Yes it is a sentence. Nothing is omitted. Random House in the Wordreference dictionary
    I see..I mean I feel like that is like this:
    (it's/I am)not ( ___ ) that I know of ( ____ ).
    If so ,what would come in the two blanks?

Last edited:

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    What is confusing you, kansi?

Q: Are you someone’s dad here?
    A: (No, I am) not (anyone's father), that I know of.

TGW

Chinese
    I know that we use this phrase when we want to answer "no" to someone's question, but we're not 100% sure that "no" is really the correct answer.

I’m just curious what we should say when we want to answer ‘yes’ to someone’s question but we’re not 100% sure that ‘yes’ is really the correct answer, ‘yes that I know of’?:D:confused:

kansi

japanese
    What is confusing you, kansi?

Q: Are you someone’s dad here?
    A: (No, I am) not (anyone's father), that I know of.
    Not that I know of

This is a fixed expression. I found this.Is it correct?

Nothing comes in the blanks. It's a fixed expression.
    I see..that's a fixed expression.

:thumbsup: I agree with all the above comments.

Negative answer:
    Not that I know of
    Not as far as I know

Positive answer:
    As far as I know
    To the best of my knowledge, yes
    I just want to make sure.Is this merely a fixed expression?

heypresto

English - England
    I never encountered such a fixed expression.
    You will encounter many many more, and when you do you will see that they are not usually open to grammatical or logical analysis, or concerns about whether they are grammatically 'correct' or make sense when put under the microscope. They can rarely be taken apart and the meaning of each word looked at separately. You have to accept each one as a complete unit, that has a meaning and is used by native speakers without thinking of the individual components.

They are very useful, and it's good to learn them and learn how and where to use them, but don't waste time on analysing them. We don't.

I'm sure it's the same in Japanese?

< Previous | Next >