not the other way around

< Previous | Next >

searcher123

Farsi/Persian/فارسي
Greetings,
I know "the other way around" mean "vise versa/in the opposite position, direction, order or position" so "not the other way around" should mean "not in the opposite position, direction, order or position". But I can not understand the meaning of the following sentence with this meaning! Can you explain me some more please?

• The iPad was built years before it finally shipped, and the iPhone actually came out of its development, not the other way around. source: www.macworld.com

Best Regards

• meepmeep

English - Australia
    Here this means that the iPad preceded and influenced the design of the iPhone, rather than the iPhone preceding and influencing the design of the iPad, which is what most people think, since the iPhone was released first. So A preceded B, "not the other way around" --> "not B preceded A"

NewAmerica

Banned
    Mandarin
    The iPhone came from the iPad; the iPad didn't come from the iPhone.

Crossposted with meepmeep.

The meaning seems to be the same with the following "not the other way around“:

Liberals "were very eager to sacrifice a white person to save one hundred nonwhites, but not the other way around (that is, to sacrifice a white person to save one hundred nonwhites, Liberals answer:"Yes!" To sacrifice a nonwhite person to save one hundred whites? Liberals answer:"NO WAY!").

Is my understanding correct?

Thanks in advance

This is not to say that liberalism isn’t also occluded by certain biases. In a recent study of moral reasoning, subjects were asked to judge whether it was morally correct to sacrifice the life of one person to save one hundred, while being given subtle clues as to the races of the people involved. Conservatives proved less biased by race than liberals and, therefore, more even-handed. Liberals, as it turns out, were very eager to sacrifice a white person to save one hundred nonwhites, but not the other way around—all the while maintaining that considerations of race had not entered into their thinking.

-Sam Harris (Moral Landscape Page 84)

< Previous | Next >