not to be taking any flack [flak]

< Previous | Next >

aallaa123

Polonia, polaco
Hello everybody,
I don't get that expresion. The situation is as follows ( it is a movie scene ):
one roughneck at the oil rig is anxious to get promoted but no body is paying really great atention to what he is doing, so he tries to take over the duties of some other roughneck ( more experienced ). The former has to get back to his spot at the oil well. Then comes their boss who is getting the news and the next thing is the commentary: "When Jerry ( their boss ) gets the news, he is not taking any flacks".

What does that mean?

Thank you from advance...

• Loob

English UK
    Hello aallaa

I'm not sure whether your text has "flack" (as in the title) or "flacks" (as in the body of your post).

Either way, I would assume it's a misprint for "flak". Click here for the entry in the WR English dictionary: definition 2 is particularly relevant:).

grubble

British English
    Hello everybody,
    I don't get that expresion. The situation is as follows ( it is a movie scene ):
    one roughneck at the oil rig is anxious to get promoted but no body is paying really great atention to what he is doing, so he tries to take over the duties of some other roughneck ( more experienced ). The former has to get back to his spot at the oil well. Then comes their boss who is getting the news and the next thing is the commentary: "When Jerry ( their boss ) gets the news, he is not taking any flack".

What does that mean?

Thank you from advance...
    Flack is an uncountable noun

< Previous | Next >