not to mention replacing aging batteries

< Previous | Next >
  • Andygc

British English
    It means the opposite of what it says. :)
    It creates these problems: the risk of corrosion and the risk of broken wires, and I'll also mention the problem of replacing ageing batteries.

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    I would paraphrase this a bit more strongly:

This hinders us because it limits where we can place implants within the body and it creates the risk of corrosion or broken wires, and I haven't even mentioned the even bigger problem of replacing aging batteries.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    I don't understand one thing: the problem is that the batteries need replacing at all
    or
    that they (the scientists) haven't found a more convenient way of replacing the batteries
    ?

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    I don't understand one thing: the problem is that the batteries need replacing at all
    or
    that they (the scientists) haven't found a more convenient way of replacing the batteries
    ?
    The problem is that the implants are going to be inside a person's body, so it will be a problem to change batteries. And while other things MAY be a problem, you know that batteries WILL wear out.

passengerman

chinese
    The answer is hidden in the previous sentence. They managed to shrink electronic components but couldn't their batteries.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    The answer is hidden in the previous sentence. They managed to shrink electronic components but couldn't their batteries.
    Hmmmm... I wouldn't say it's the answer... The hint occured above in the text: "most of today's implements are challenged by the size of their batteries, which are large and heavy and must be replaced periodically. Fully half the volume of most of these devices is consumed by battery."
    Which implies that there are two problems: the size of the batteries themselves and the necessity of replacing them.
    The problem is that the implants are going to be inside a person's body, so it will be a problem to change batteries. And while other things MAY be a problem, you know that batteries WILL wear out.
    So, my former one is right...:)

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    It would have helped if you had also quoted the preceding sentence (remember that you're permitted to quote up to four sentences). Here is the full text of both sentences:

"While we have gotten very good at shrinking electronic and mechanical components of implants, energy storage has lagged in the move to miniaturize," said co-author Teresa Meng, a professor of electrical engineering and computer science. "This hinders us in where we can place implants within the body and also creates the risk of corrosion or broken wires, not to mention replacing aging batteries."

< Previous | Next >