not to mention

< Previous | Next >

osbern

Chinese
Hi,

I came across the following sentence, i feel the "not to mention" here is a little bit weird, any other way to say it?

Students would be spiritually and mentally motivated if they are encouraged and granted forgiveness, not to mention corporal punishment in some extreme cases.

thanks

Osbern

• Tracer

American English
    Hi,

I came across the following sentence, i feel the "not to mention" here is a little bit weird, any other way to say it?

Students would be spiritually and mentally motivated if they are encouraged and granted forgiveness, not to mention corporal punishment in some extreme cases.

thanks

Osbern
    It sounds a little "weird" because it's incorrect. There's a verb missing in the phrase after the comma. Also, "if they are" should be: "if they were".
    To "fix" the whole thing up, you could say:

Students would be spiritually and mentally motivated if they were encouraged and granted forgiveness, not to mention subjecting them to corporal punishment in some extreme cases.

There are, of course, several other ways to improve the sentence.

osbern

Chinese
    thank you so much, Tracer!

sorry, i didn't give you the whole picture. I understand the speaker is trying to say that it's good to motivate students spiritually by encouragement instead of corporal punishment, so in this case, how do I improve it? thanks.

Tracer

American English
    thank you so much, Tracer!

sorry, i didn't give you the whole picture. I understand the speaker is trying to say that it's good to motivate students spiritually by encouragement instead of corporal punishment, so in this case, how do I improve it? thanks.
    Well, that's a completely different question. You'd have to totally change the sentence. Something like:

Students would be spiritually and mentally motivated if they were encouraged and granted forgiveness, INSTEAD OF subjecting them to corporal punishment EVEN in extreme cases.

I'm not sure that's what you're looking for, but the sentence is correct.

Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    Students would be spiritually and mentally motivated if they were encouraged and granted forgiveness, INSTEAD OF subjecting them to corporal punishment in extreme cases.
    I suspect that this was the intended meaning of the original sentence - it's no wonder that osbern was confused.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Hi,

thanks

Osbern
    Let's give this author the credit for meaning what he seems to be trying to say, and remember that some religious extremists regard corporal punishment as bringing atonement.

1. The tenses in the conditional sentence are wrong, and this hinders understanding; it should be something like

Students would be spiritually and mentally motivated if they were encouraged, and granted forgiveness or

Students will be spiritually and mentally motivated if they are encouraged, and granted forgiveness.

2. I agree that not to mention can seem a little strange here. Can he mean?

Students would be spiritually and mentally motivated if they were encouraged, and granted forgiveness, or even corporal punishment in some extreme cases?

If he does, then, it's not so strange to say Students would be spiritually and mentally motivated if they were encouraged, and granted forgiveness, not to mention corporal punishment in some extreme cases

I'm not clear that a verb is missing, once one remembers that in some minds one can be granted corporal punishment.

Why have we not been given your source, Osbern? There is a rule that it be included in an opening post like yours, I think.

< Previous | Next >