not to mention

< Previous | Next >

Ni Hen Meili

Singapore English
Hello.

In spite the effort of searching its meaning, I am still confused of what "not to mention" mean in the following sentences.
For example :

1. She is tall, not to mention, sexy.
2. He is being invited in several interviews, not to mention, as speaker in various seminars. (I composed this which I'm not sure if correct):confused:

In the first sentence, does it mean "not only that"? - She is tall, not only that, she is also sexy. (That's how I understand it) :confused::confused:

Please enlighten me. Thanks for your help. :)

• GeneP54

American English
    Yes, 'not only that' could be an accepted replacement, as is 'also'. It has always been funny to me that someone might say this and then proceed to 'mention' it. lol

owlman5

English-US
    "Also" is a pretty good interpretation of what "not to mention" means, Ni Hen Meili. Of course, the speaker actually does mention "sexy", so the phrase "not to mention" doesn't really make much sense. For some reason, many speakers facing a roomful of people will say things that don't really need to be said.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Welcome to the forum. :)
    She is tall, not to mention sexy.
    She is tall, not only that, she is also sexy. (That's how I understand it.)
    You understand it correctly; it means "as well as", "in addition to". I took out the unnecessary (and wrong) comma after "mention". This phrase, as compared with "as well as", emphasizes what follows. I would take this to mean that she is tall, and she is outstandingly sexy.

Ni Hen Meili

Singapore English
    Yes, 'not only that' could be an accepted replacement, as is 'also'. It has always been funny to me that someone might say this and then proceed to 'mention' it. lol
    Thanks so much. I didn't get the last sentence though...:confused::) but I appreciate your reply.

Ni Hen Meili

Singapore English
    Welcome to the forum. :)

You understand it correctly; it means "as well as", "in addition to". I took out the unnecessary (and wrong) comma after "mention". This phrase, as compared with "as well as", emphasizes what follows. I would take this to mean that she is tall, and she is outstandingly sexy.
    Thank you so much Parla. You are such a Big help. :)

< Previous | Next >