Not to mention

< Previous | Next >

florance

danish
Hi everyone! I have looked it up in the dictionary but i have a situation which I am not so sure if let alone will fits well in

" A phone already costs more than 1000$, not to mention a computer and a car - I bet she wont be able to afford those commodities"

In this case, she (Mary) wants to own all of the above things; and I am trying to say that even the tiniest thing - a phone - costs a lot (1000$), Mary wont be able to afford it, not to mention the other more expensive things - a computer and a car.

Many thanks!

• sound shift

English - England
    Hello,

I'm afraid it doesn't read well to me. When I see the "not to mention", I'm expecting some further information about the cost of a phone to follow (e.g. "not to mention the network charges").

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    Agreed. I think if you want to use an idiom, "let alone" would fit better, but it would need to go into the second part.
    The phone alone already costs more than 1000$, I bet she won't be able to afford even that, let alone a computer and a car.

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    Agreed also, and don't forget that we write "$1,000" for "a/one thousand dollars". And I'd replace the comma after "$1,000" by a semicolon or a period.

florance

danish
    Thank you! I was shocked to know that there is a difference between 'let alone' and ' not to mention'.

I like your interpretations and versions much better! I kind of understand why my sentence sounds a bit absurd now.

< Previous | Next >