not to overstay your welcoming

Camlearner

Khmer
Hi,

I read a document on how to seek a job. It says during the career forum, "Use your elevator speech and not to overstay your welcoming recruiters"

<separate topic>

And overstay your welcoming recruiters means you say hi hi or hello hello to the recruiters at their job booths for too long right?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Camlearner

Khmer
    Hi Loob,

No it is not at all.

In my document, it just says:

During Career Forum: Job-seekers should do the following:

1. Introduce yourself to recruiters
    2. use your elevator speech and not to overstay your welcoming recruiters3. Gather information
    4. Network with recruiters and fellow job-seekers.

No any definition is given. It is an announcement for university students to attend the career forum.

sound shift

English - England
    The set expression is "to overstay your welcome", where "welcome" is a noun.
    In "to overstay your welcoming recruiters", "welcoming" appears to be an adjective, and "recruiters", a noun. This seems like a distortion of the set expression and a phrase that makes little or no sense, since the words appear to say "Do not stay any longer than the recruiters do." :confused:

In addition, the use of "and not to" in "Use your elevator speech and not to overstay your welcoming recruiters" strikes me as non-standard grammar.

In view of this, I wonder what the words were intended to mean. :confused:

Myridon

English - US
    I agree with sound_shift that 2) is nonsense. It seems to me it should say:
    2) use your elevator speech and do not overstay your welcome

Camlearner

Khmer
    Dear All,

You both are native English speakers so I should follow you. I will say : do not overstay your welcome and not not to overstay your welcoming recruiters :)

I think the original writer of the sentence is not correct (Maybe he is not native speaker) because the announcement is in my country, so English publication is not very correct. :warning:

Thank you for your help.

Harry Batt

USA English
    Though the text is awkward, I think the meaning is clear. If you go beyond the amount of time or speech that the recruiters expect you will bore them.

< Previous | Next >