Not unless he'd produced a hybrid.

< Previous | Next >

camels

Farsi
I am reading "Loot" by "Joe Orton". I was wondering what does Fay( a Strict catholic nurse) mean by " The Vatican would never grant an annulment. Not unless he’d produced a hybrid." By "He" she means a "man".
Does she mean if a relationship cause to have a baby the Vatican doesn't let them divorce?
I would appreciate your help.

• DocPenfro

English - British
    Thanks to The Prof for the bit of script.

Orton's dialogue is idiosyncratic, frequently scatological and notoriously recondite, so the interpretation tends to be in the ear of the listener.
    The Vatican would normally only grant annulments (effectively divorces) for a very limited number of reasons. One of these was non-consummation, so despite the fact that he is speaking about his own father, it is possible that, by "produced a hybrid", Orton was alluding to some secret sexual aberration or fetish. Alternatively, and more probably: it was possible for wealthy individuals to secure an annulment effectively through a discreet bribe to the church, in cash or in kind. Maybe Orton thought that a new variety of rose could have been named after the Pope, thus securing a divorce by way of a return favour.

Forero

It is a play on words. If the man were not human, a gorilla for example, his offspring by Hal's mother would be a hybrid, part human and part gorilla or whatever. Then she could get an annulment since she would have "married" outside of her species, which is forbidden. Similarly if he and his roses produced offspring (plant-human hybrid) that would be not only hybridism but proof of adultery, which could also get her an annulment. His being more "font of" roses than of his wife suggests he had too much invested in them to properly consummate his marriage, another reason an annulment could be granted.

Myridon

English - US
    The line before talks of the wife naming the Rose Grower's Association as a co-respondent, i.e. she is going to say that her husband was cheating on her with the Rose Grower's Association as the reason that an annulment should be granted. If he had produced a hybrid rose, it would serve as "proof" of this "adultery."

camels

Farsi
    Dear The Prof, DocPenfro, Forero, Myridon, thank you all for your very informative advise.

camels

Farsi
    That was wonderful. Thanks all for your help.

I also have another question. in the next sentence Hal says: If she'd played her cards right, my mother could've cited the Rose Growers' Annual as co-respondent."
    Fay reply is:"The Vatican would never grant an annulment. Not unless he'd produced a hybrid."

By "Rose Growers' Annual" does he mean his father? and why is it in capital?

<< This repeat of the question has been moved from:
    Harp & Petals >>

Last edited by a moderator:

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    The Rose Growers' Annual sounds like the title of an annual magazine or catalog. "Co-respondent" usually refers to a person who has captured the affections of one being sued for divorce. Thus, Hal is saying that the father was more enamored of roses than of his wife.

< Previous | Next >