Not wishing to push my luck

< Previous | Next >

Mikeo38

English (British)
I'd like to translate "Not wishing to push my luck" into Portuguese. My correspondent has a good knowledge of English but this idiomatic expression might be difficult and, in any case, it would be nice for him to learn it. To put it into context:

"It was good of you to tow my car to the garage when it broke down last month. Well, do you know what? It's broken down again! I hesitate to push my luck but could you possibly tow it to the garage again?"

In other words: I was lucky when he did me the first favour. So I am embarrassed to ask for a second favour. Would this second favour be pushing my luck?

Sorry but I don't know Portuguese so I can't make an attempt. Thanks in advance - M

• Vanda

Moderesa de Beagá
    Português/ Brasil
    Another possibility for Brazil is "sem querer forçar a barra". Note that it is informal.
    In your context, also "seria pedir demais.…..?". And..."sem querer abusar...".

Mikeo38

English (British)
    OK thanks for the replies. I don't know Portuguese but am OK in French and Italian.
    The Brazilian version, "sem querer forçar a barra", is interesting. I guess that's like, "pushing the boundaries" or perhaps "raising the bar" - the latter a reference to the high jump.
    Anyway, I now know what to put in my e-mail and I thank you both again.
    M

Mikeo38

English (British)
    Thank you again - it's interesting how these Latin based languages are 'transparent' when you see things in print.

< Previous | Next >