not yesterday

srečkokosovelfanclub

Slovene
Hi!
Does anyone know if the expression 'not yesterday (you could probably replace it with other time periods)' can mean something along the lines of 'it was just yesterday'? For example: "I do help people. Not yesterday I saved that girl from the car that was going to hit her."
Any advice would be much appreciated!

• Packard

USA, English
    With the addition of "just" it can be used.

Just yesterday I deposited funds in my bank account.

Why it was not just yesterday I helped a little old lady cross the street.

Just last year I bought a new car.

srečkokosovelfanclub

Slovene
    Hi! Thank you for all of your replies! I have stumbled upon another example, though, from a completely different source, using the same syntactic construction: "I saw you in the lounge bathroom not thirty seconds ago."
    I'm sorry for bothering you, but are you sure this is incorrect? People seem to use it nontheless.

kentix

English - U.S.
    That's an amount of time measured backward from the present moment, not the name of a period of time, so it's different.

Not 45 minutes ago... :thumbsup:
    Not 30 seconds ago... :thumbsup:

Not yesterday... :thumbsdown:
    Not last week... :thumbsdown:

Packard

USA, English
    That's an amount of time measured backward from the present moment, not the name of a period of time, so it's different.

Not 45 minutes ago... :thumbsup:
    Not 30 seconds ago... :thumbsup:

Not yesterday... :thumbsdown:
    Not last week... :thumbsdown:
    Expanding on that:

Not 45 minutes ago... :thumbsup: (Less than 45 minutes ago--makes perfect sense)
    Not 30 seconds ago... :thumbsup: (Less than 30 seconds ago--makes perfect sense)

Not yesterday... :thumbsdown: (Less than yesterday--illogical)
    Not last week... :thumbsdown: (Less than last week--illogical)

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Such expressions were used in the past, with not...ago, but today these sound dated to me:

[QUOTE]Why, he said himself not two months ago that that was not going to be of any permanent benefit
    Parliamentary Debates. House of Representatives

What? Old Tom Smith dead? Why, I saw him myself not a week ago/only last week*, fit as a fiddle he looked.

*I would use "Only last week..."

< Previous | Next >