notably different and noticeably different

HSS

Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
How different are 'notably different' and 'noticeably diferent' from each other? What is the order in the degree of difference? If something is noticeably different, it may not be noticeably different because to be noticeably different it should be more different, right?

So perhaps the men and women who were so riveted in the corridor were stunned not because they were seeing a stranger, but because they feared they might be seeing themselves. That the woman looked not notably different from any of them was precisely the point. She had been pierced by invisible arrows-and if it could happen to her ...
(Chicago Tribune)

• srk

English - US
    She was surely noticeably different from each of them — color of hair, eyes, etc. — differences that they could notice. She was not notably different from them, however; she wasn't different in ways that mattered in terms of how they might behave themselves.

HSS

To be noticeably different, you should be significantly different in the way others feel your distinct features are something that matters to them, something that they might want to make a note of. Right?
    (Good to get a reply from someone from Indiana, good ol' Indiana ... I went to school for a fraction of my high school days in Indiana)

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I agree with srk, and would just add that "notably" is stronger and means sort of like "markedly". It does seem like when you read "noticeably" that it would be stronger, but again (in general) it is not stronger than "notably".

EDIT: Cross-posted.

HSS

Hi, perpend. How are you?

Okay, so 'notably different' points to something more distinct from 'noticeably different.' Thanks!

GrumpyRunt

german
    Notice vs. note -- confusing words!
    I wouldn't say not noticably different from only hardly noticeably different from another thing (one can hardly see the differences), or just 'noticeably similar to' each other.
    But something might be not notably different from each other -- one can ignore the differences, the differences are not worth to mention. That is what I think the author intended us to say.
    Noticeably is often used in comparisons like noticeably (clearly, obviously, definitely) larger than -- easily to be noticed. The idea of (in)significance should be expressed with '(not) notably' -- (not) worth to be noted. Notably is more like a quantifier but not noticably, I think.
    Just a thought!

Seusomon

English - US
    notable = worthy of note, important, significant

noticeable = able to be noticed, perceptible, clear

Notably different = different in an important way (the difference really matters)

Noticeably different = discernibly different (you can tell they are different)

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    It's not a matter of "degree"; the two words have different meanings. Seusomon has explained the difference well in post #7.

< Previous | Next >