notary certification: crossed-out words

"...the above is true copy of the original document. in which no corrections, additions, alterations, crossed-out words or other changes were found.."...

this is a translation by a non-native speaker into English. I am wondering where the term "crossed-out words" has in reality a more commonly used synonym in our officialese.

• shawnee

English - Australian
    I'm not sure anything can be 'deleted' from an original document. As I understand the term it relates to the word processor. The equivalent term for an original document would be erasure. As it is conceivable that the document could be altered by having words crossed out, I would be tempted to stick to the notarised description.

greg from vancouver

Canada, Vancouver
    I still like 'deletions'.
    The Miriam-Webster dictionary defines a deletion as:
    : to eliminate especially by blotting out, cutting out, or erasing <delete a passage in a manuscript> <delete a computer file>

-Greg

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    A crossed-out word is not really a deletion. Something that has been deleted has been removed. Crossed-out words are not removed, but may merely have a line through them. They are still there, and still legible, but are nevertheless crossed-out.

greg from vancouver

Canada, Vancouver
    OK- I stand corrected. But the "line" is symbolic of the author's wish to delete that word from the text. The fact that the word, with the line through it, is still actually visible on the page, doesn't make it less of a deletion, in my opinion. If the author had "white out" at his disposal, he probably would've used it.

But, in legal terms, I suppose you're right!
    -Greg

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    In typesetters' and proofreaders' jargon, crossed-out words are strikethroughs.

Wikipedia:
    Strikethrough (also called strikeout) is a typographical presentation of words with a horizontal line through the center of them. Here is an example.

< Previous | Next >