nothing at all

Alazyguy

Chinese
Hi, everyone. I want to know what this sentence mean: "She is prone to fits of furious indignation about nothing at all. "
When I checked the translation I found that this "nothing at all" part was translated into "everything" in Chinese. And I want to know why.
It is a part of a sentense in Little Fires Everywhere, by the way.
Thanks

Moderator's note
The title should be the phrase to be translated without any extra words. Thank you.
Bevj

Last edited by a moderator:
  • elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    I think "nothing at all" here is intended to mean "trivial or petty things; things that are not worth getting furious about."

Wandering JJ

British English
    The 'at all' is an intensifier, so 'absolutely nothing' would fit as well as Elroy's offering. 'Nothing at all' definitely does not mean 'everything'!

Alazyguy

Chinese
    The 'at all' is an intensifier, so 'absolutely nothing' would fit as well as Elroy's offering. 'Nothing at all' definitely does not mean 'everything'!
    Thanks Actually, I used google tranlate and in Chinese it means "everything", or at least, as I thought, it has no negative meaning. Just want to make sure I get it right.

Moderator's note
    Thx is not a word. Please do not use chatspeak or abbreviate words. Thank you.
    Bevj

Alazyguy

Chinese
    Thanks. Actually, I used google tranlate and in Chinese it means "everything", or at least, as I thought, it has no negative meaning. Just want to make sure I get it right.
    I hadn't realized that 'nothing' has a meaning of 'unimportant thing' until I got your answers. And I think most of us may as well not know a second meaning other than 'not anything' or 'everything'.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    "Nothing" and "everything" are opposites in English, and they never mean the same thing. I believe there is a Chinese word that can mean either; perhaps this word was used in the translation and was the reason you got confused?

Alazyguy

Chinese
    "Nothing" and "everything" are opposites in English, and they never mean the same thing. I believe there is a Chinese word that can mean either; perhaps this word was used in the translation and was the reason you got confused?
    Well, nope. The translation app translates 'nothing at all' into a Chinese word, which was retranslated into English as 'ecerything'. That is where I got it wrong.
    ①'Nothing 'as a pronoun can mean the opposite of 'everything' ②as a noun it can mean 'someone or something that has little or no worth, importance, or influence' , which I didn't know. So I asked this question and thank you for letting me know another meaning of 'nothing'.

< Previous | Next >