Nothing else matters

Dyc

Spain/spanish
Hello!

I'd like to know how we can say "nothing else matters" in Japanese language.
I looked it up in RUI diccionary, but there were a lot of options for each word so.. if someone can tell me I'd be thankful.

• I_like_my_TV

Tongan
    I'd suggest the following, but "nothing else matters" can be rendered variously, depending on the context:

ほかには問題(が)ありません。

Aoyama

français Clodoaldien
    It would depend on the context (as very often in Japanese, expressions out of context are tricky).
    ほかには問題(が)ありません。
    Literally means : there is no problem (else) besides this (problem)
    It could also be : do[o] demo ii (what ever, I don't care), once again depending on context (to be provided).

Dyc

Spain/spanish
    Thanks to both ^^

Context.. mmm... for example: "Having health, nothing else matters" or "If we love each other, nothing else matters"

Flaminius

coclea mod
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    Ah, now I see clearly what you want to say!
    健康であれば、それでいい。

Or if being health is emphasized as the only condition;
    健康でありさえすれば、それでいい。

Aoyama

français Clodoaldien
    Ah, now I see clearly what you want to say!
    健康であれば、それでいい。(1)

Or if being health is emphasized as the only condition;
    健康でありさえすれば、それでいい。(2)
    Which, neeedless to say, is very true but needs a small explanation (I dare think) to show how this work in Japanese, because it is not a literal translation from English :
    1 = If there is/you have health, (then) it's good/enough
    2 = Having just health is good enough
    for :
    "If we love each other, nothing else matters"
    you could have (sorry only romajeese):
    otagaini aisureba, sorede ii (sorede jubun)
    futari no aida(ni), ai ga areba, ....
    but I stand to be corrected.

MeryllB

French -France
    Are you trying to translate the title of the song by Metallica, or is it really a question about grammar?
    Because if you are trying to translate the title of this song, I think that would change the context and therefore the translation. I am chancing a suggestion, although I am pretty sure it won't be correct because my Japanese is faulty to say the least: それ以上、どうでもいい. Here, I am sure it is bad Japanese but I hope it made my meaning clearer.

Flaminius

coclea mod
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    それ以上、どうでもいい
    Very close to what sounds very fluent in Japanese.
    I'd say それ以外(は)、どうでもいい
    OR 他はどうでもいい

A note of caution. どうでもいい has the implication that other things are actually worthless; I don't care a bit, whatever, so what etc.

MeryllB

French -France
    A note of caution. どうでもいい has the implication that other things are actually worthless; I don't care a bit, whatever, so what etc.
    It reminds me that I asked a Japanese friend once how to say in Japanese "this is not my problem", in the less nice sense (something like "you should be the one dealing with this, not me"). She told me that the closest translation would be どうでもいい, which surprised me because I thought there was quite a big difference between "I don't care either way" and "this is not my problem".
    It looks like どうでもいい can have a lot of different meanings depending on the context.

Aoyama

français Clodoaldien
    どうでもいい (see also my post #3, sorry to cite myself) has many meanings, as an idiosyncratic expression (tokui sei go) .
    Close English equivalent : what ever, it doesn't matter/make any difference, it's all the same , I don't care/give a damn...
    Close French equivalent : qu'importe , c'est pareil, ça m'est égal with the extreme : je m'en fiche
    Spanish : es igual, me da igual, me importa un comino ...

どうでもいい is also close to kamawanai (but then the meaning drifts away from the original question).

< Previous | Next >