Notifications before deleting old threads?

Rosamariama

Español peninsular
I wanted to ask/suggest whether it would be possible that, in the same way that when a post is deleted or edited, the author receives a notification, if not the same could be done with respect to threads (when, after a few months, an entire thread is deleted) to give the opportunity, at least to the person who opened it, to save information that they consider useful or important to their question.

On the other hand, I don't know if this type of action is very common (if the percentage of old threads that are deleted is very high) and then it is advisable that each user makes a copy of what may be of interest to them personally (I had the page itself as an archive, but perhaps it is not the right thing to do).

Thank you and best regards

• Sowka

Forera und Moderatorin
    German, Northern Germany
    We often "clean up" old threads to make them more useful from the dictionary point of view: Change thread titles, merge threads, split threads, delete threads that at some point helped one person but will not be useful to dictionary users.

My suggestion: Make copies of the information you need right away. This would always be my advice for information obtained on the Internet. Sites may be relocated or deactivated.

I hope this helps you. :)

Rosamariama

Español peninsular
    My suggestion: Make copies of the information you need right away. This would always be my advice for information obtained on the Internet. Sites may be relocated or deactivated.

I hope this helps you. :)

Understood. That's logical ;). I had taken the file as a "biblioteca".

Thank you for your response

elroy

Imperfect mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Hello,

When we delete a currently active or very recent thread, we typically notify the OP and/or other members who have posted, for two main reasons:
    1.) so that they know what's going on and don't have to wonder where the thread went, etc.
    2.) to point out rule violations, etc., so that any issues can potentially be avoided in the future

Once a certain amount of time has passed and the thread is no longer active, we do not typically contact anyone if we delete it. For one thing, per Rule 16, all threads belong to the website, and neither the OP nor anyone who has posted in a thread is entitled to any correspondence in relation to that thread. Additionally, it's not practical to contact the OP every time just in case they want to save something before the thread gets deleted. I imagine that it's fairly unlikely for the OP to be so interested in the content that they would go through the trouble of saving it before it gets deleted, so notifying them every time would be a lot of extra work for little to no benefit. Furthermore, this would mean waiting for a certain amount of time to make sure the OP has had a chance to save whatever they need, and then going back and deleting the thread. Not only is it then possible that the thread would be forgotten or overlooked, but this would also mean keeping in the forum a thread that has been deemed worthy of deletion. Also, what if we designate a certain amount of time to wait and the OP doesn't even log on at all during that waiting period? What if they never log back on period? Finally, as with any other site, content comes and goes, and it's not the website's responsibility to notify visitors every time content is about to be removed.

I will say that deleting old threads is relatively rare, but it does happen. If you are concerned about losing content due to a thread deletion, I suggest one of two courses of action:
    1.) Save whatever content you want to make sure you don't lose.
    2.) If content is lost, contact a moderator and ask if it can be sent to you. This should not be a problem in most cases.

I hope this is helpful.

[cross-posted with the above two posts]

Rosamariama

Español peninsular
    Thank you, @elroy. No, I wasn't suggesting that moderators do all that (a huge and, yes, unreasonable workload). The thread I was referring to was from 28 Dec 2020, and I noticed it on 21 Jan 2021 (I don't know when it would be deleted, and when I asked, the moderator was kind enough to provide me with the contents of that thread).

In any case, the 'mistake' is mine for believing that everything was archived: I don't know why I took it for granted, and evidently not, as @Sowka makes clear: if something interests me I copy it immediately (as now seems so logical to me, and as a "general rule" for everything) and the normal thing (and which is to be welcomed) is that the forums are unloaded of content that is not useful.

I suppose there will be controversial cases (I know for a fact that there are, having read the thread where I first published this post) but, luckily, this one of mine is not. ;)

Regards

Just because of some recent deletions, I have another question related to this very issue. The question is that if, in these deletions, content was to disappear, let's say, original content, could it be appropriated by someone else (who had made a copy before the deletion)? In other words, is there any kind of record of what has been published so that, if the unfortunate case should arise, it would be possible to prove the original authorship of certain content?

Thank you