notion/concept/perception of luxury, aesthetics and details that we have in Western countries

Hello everyone,

I would like to say please: "Chinese people, especially those who are coming from the countryside or the poor class and find jobs as waiters in big cities in luxury or upscale western shops, don't have the notion/concept/perception of luxury, aesthetics and details that we have in Western countries".

The part in bold is the one where I have the biggest difficulties...

Here is my try:

"中国人, 特别是中国人来自从农村或穷阶层和找到在大的城市和西方的商店工作, 没有奢侈,审美或细节的概念/感觉."

I'm afraid this sound awful... but well at least I tried. I'm not sure for: 概念/感觉. I don't now how to translate "...that we have in Werstern countries" too.

Thank you very much in advance for helping me. :)

• Hello Jerry_Chan,

It is not deliberatly offensive at all. I don't want to be offensive here, but I observed a lot of Western managers and clients saying this in China. It doesn't mean that Chinese do not have taste, it just means that you have a different approach of luxury from us. I hope my sentence is not too miscontrued... I didn't imply anything, if it is your concern! I merely wanted to state at least one sentence about this in my report, as I actually often heard these kind of remarks around me. This sentence will suffice, as my goal is not to criticize Chinese people!

Westerners and Western habits are not the centre of the world... fortunately!!!

BODYholic

Chinese Cantonese
    Here is my try:

"中国人, 特别是中国人来自从农村或穷阶层和找到在大的城市和西方的商店工作, 没有奢侈,审美或细节的概念/感觉."
    Your sentence needs a lot of touch up.

a. You need not repeat 中国人twice.
    b. "来自" and "从" have overlapping function.
    c. Mid phrase is too disorganize.
    d. "Western shops" - 洋商/店 (in lieu of 西方的商店)
    e. "没有" is a strong word. I replaced it with something more politically correct.

中国人, 特别是来自农村或穷阶层, 和找到在大的城市和西方的商店工作 到了大城市的洋商里打工。一般都缺乏没有奢侈(1),审美或细节(2)的概念
    (1) & (2) - While 审美 can function as an adjective (for 概念), I am not confident that 奢侈 & 细节 work for 概念.

注:以上非本人立场。

xiaolijie

UK
    English (UK)
    I don't want to be offensive here
    This is understood, and therefore, instead of "Chinese people...don't have...", I'd rephrase it into something like "Chinese people... (seem to) have a different concept/ perception of..."

Jerry Chan

Cantonese, Hokkien
    Hello Jerry_Chan,

It is not deliberatly offensive at all. I don't want to be offensive here, but I observed a lot of Western managers and clients saying this in China. It doesn't mean that Chinese do not have taste, it just means that you have a different approach of luxury from us. I hope my sentence is not too miscontrued... I didn't imply anything, if it is your concern! I merely wanted to state at least one sentence about this in my report, as I actually often heard these kind of remarks around me. This sentence will suffice, as my goal is not to criticize Chinese people!

Westerners and Western habits are not the centre of the world... fortunately!!!
    I understand.
    I didn't mean to "pick your fault". Just think we should be more careful and sensitive when it comes to RACES.

Geysere

Chinese - China
    While 审美 can function as an adjective (for 概念), I am not confident that 奢侈 & 细节 work for 概念.
    I agree it's probably not the best match, but it works. Actually I think you can put 概念 after any word, because we can have or not have a concept for anything. :D

USE, I think for the first part of the sentence you want to say "中国人, 特别是来自农村或穷阶层而在大城市的西方商店工作的中国人,......" ?

xiaolijie

UK
    English (UK)
    While 审美 can function as an adjective (for 概念), I am not confident that 奢侈 & 细节 work for 概念.
    This is indeed an interesting observation, because I also noticed something similar in the English version but didn't mention it for fear of appearing pedantic ;):
    notion and concept are ideas, and therefore do not go with luxury, aesthetics and details. We can say "their perception/ sense of luxury, aesthetics and details." and "his concept/ notion of justice, democracy, etc."

< Previous | Next >