Noun of unmarried

< Previous | Next >

Tam60me

Arabic
What is the noun form of the adjective unmarried/single?
Unmarriage acceptable? Spinsterhood only applies to women.

• sdgraham

USA English
    We have unmarried men and unmarried women.
    Or, we have single men and single women.
    We also have widows and widowers

Unmarriage doesn't exist.:thumbsdown:
    Spinsterhood and spinster are not used since they have become viewed as insulting.:thumbsdown:

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Nouns singledom and singlehood exist, but I don't think either is commonly used. If you need to use such a word, singledom would certainly be understood, but it might be better to avoid it.

Last edited:

Tam60me

Arabic
    Thank you, sdgr
    The term I'm seeking is a noun, not an adjective, that carries the same meaning as "unmarriage" but one that actually exists.

Tam60me

Arabic
    Singleness is a possibility, but I would want to see a complete sentence.
    I'm working on a translation. Something along the lines of:
    "One difficulty the young generation of society faces is high dowry costs. This has led a sizable portion of the female population to *singleness*"

Another example:
    "*singleness* is one of many adverse effects of high dowry costs."

I mean, I do realize that I could easily word the translation differently in a way that replaces the noun with the adjective, but I was just wondering if the noun existed in English unbeknownst to me. Hence, my question.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    For men, the state of never having been married is bachelorhood. I've heard the word bachelor used for women in recent years as well (there's a TV show called "The Bachelorette" in which a woman decides which of several men she will marry) but I wouldn't go so far as to recommend it.

< Previous | Next >