noun phrases

< Previous | Next >

navi

Banned
armenian
Are these sentences correct:

1-Jeff with a pistol will replace Harry with a rifle in the corridor.
2-Jeff holding a pistol will replace Harry holding a rifle in the corridor.
(MEANING: In the corridor instead of there being Harry with a rifle, there will be Jeff with a pistol)

3-Jeff will replace Harry with a rifle in the corridor.
4-Jeff will replace Harry holding a rifle in the corridor.

(MEANING: In the corridor instead of there being Harry with a rrifle, there will be Jeff)

I am pretty sure "3" sounds as if Jeff will take Harry and put a rifle instead of him in the corridor! I am not sure that "4" is clear either.

• owlman5

English-US
    I agree with you on #3, Navi. It sounds as if Jeff were trading Harry in for a rifle.

#4 would sound clearer if you wrote: Jeff will replace Harry, who is holding a rifle in the corridor.

Does that help you any?

owlman5

English-US
    They sure do. I'd expect to see them in writing more than hear them in conversation. Many speakers just don't remember to do interesting things with noun phrases in their spontaneous speech. I tend to analyze "Jeff holding a pistol" as a participial adjective phrase that modifies the simple noun "Jeff". Looking at it as a noun phrase would be easier in a sentence such as the following: Jeff holding a pistol is a ridiculous image. :)

Last edited:

navi

Banned
    armenian
    Thanks Owlman5.

You are brave! I always imagine Jeff holding it at me and I don't find it funny!!

< Previous | Next >