November 21 from 1pm-2pm EDT

Flora8850

Chinese
I read a text including a sentence "Nov 21 EDT" from the source picture.

1574135057316.png

As far as I know, EDT stands for Eastern Daylight Time, which lasts from the second Sunday of March to the first Sunday of November( that is, from Nov 3, 2019 this year). My question is why it said "Nov 21 EDT" when time has changed to ESD in late November?

Thank you in advance!

• RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    Written by someone who (like me) can never remember which is EST and which is EDT, but (unlike me) didn't bother to check. :D

Roxxxannne

English (northeastern US)
    I read a text including a sentence "Nov 21 EDT" from the source picture.

View attachment 35491
    As far as I know, EDT stands for Eastern Daylight Time, which lasts from the second Sunday of March to the first Sunday of November( that is, from Nov 3, 2019 this year). My question is why it said "Nov 21 EDT" when time has changed to ESD EST in late early November?

Thank you in advance!
    I

Egmont

English - U.S.
    People often try to appear knowledgeable by using such abbreviations without thinking through what they really mean. This person probably created the calendar entry before November 3, when EDT was in effect in his or her location; was used to seeing it; and didn't think about what it meant.

(I was once on a flight to London in the summer. The flight attendant announced just after landing that "the time is 6:30 GMT." It wasn't. It was 5:30 GMT, because it was 6:30 British Summer Time (BST). Perhaps she thought that "GMT" sounded official. I suspect that a flight attendant on a British airline would have gotten it right, but I don't know.)

< Previous | Next >