Now I dictate the process

< Previous | Next >

longxianchen

chinese
Hello,
Is the sentence below right? Especially the word "dictate"(emphasizing describing in words).
" Now I dictate the process and you act the process out."
Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
  • sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
    Hi,

It's not good to use (dictate) in that part of the sentence.

And try not to repeat the word (process)

Try this one:

Now I emphasize the proces and you should act it out.

e2efour

UK English
    What process are you talking about?
    Have you checked the meaning of dictate in the dictionary? It has at least two different meanings.

Last edited:

longxianchen

chinese
    What process are you talking about?
    Thank you two. I plan to describe a cleaning up process so that my students can act it out. What I want to emphasize is "I speak and you act it out". In a word, I need an expression to emphasize.

Last edited:

e2efour

UK English
    If you're giving instructions, you would say it something like this: "Now I will/I will now describe the process. I then want you to act it out."

longxianchen

chinese
    Ok. I finally figure out the meaning of dictating, which means "somebody speaks so that others can write down what he or she said". But if I say the Chinese meanings of words while my students write down the English words, is it also " dictation"?

longxianchen

chinese
    No, I mean: I say the Chinese meanings of some words. And I have my students write down the English words according to these Chinese meanings.
    In this case, what is it,if it's not " dictation"?

Last edited:

e2efour

UK English
    It's translation! (I assume you mean that you say "Beijing" and they write down "northern capital" -- or something like this. This does not amount to dictation.)
    To put it another way, dictation involves the students transcribing what you say. If you like, you could call it "a kind of dictation exercise".

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >