now it seemed exasperated

riverbottom

Russian
Hello everyone. I'm a non-native English speaker. I'm reading a book about the Simpsons. I have a problem understanding this sentence fragment 'Now it seemed exasperated'. I suppose that means 'it seemed angry'. Am I right?

Season 8, which ran from October of 1996 to May of 1997, has more than one episode that doesn’t quite fit with the rest of The Simpsons, which may be why Season 8 has the feeling of a show that is winding itself down. <-----Excess quote removed by moderator (Florentia52)----->

Where the show had once been fond of an occasional subtle nudge to let the audience know that it was aware of the absurdities of episodic television (Burns never remembering Homer, Marge reminding Bart that he hasn’t used any of his famous catchphrases in four years), now it seemed exasperated or downright indifferent. For all its great moments, “The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show” is about nothing so much as the show throwing up its hands at its own audience. And when “Burns, Baby Burns” ends with a spontaneous party after a dire and rather lengthy police chase, Homer shrugs his shoulders and says, “It doesn’t have to make sense”.'

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Chez

English English
    If you are 'exasperated' you have run out of patience with something. The text seems to say that the creators of the show had become exasperated with, or even indifferent to, their audience.

riverbottom

Russian
    If you are 'exasperated' you have run out of patience with something. The text seems to say that the creators of the show had become exasperated with, or even indifferent to, their audience.
    Do I correctly understand that this 'the show throwing up its hands at its own audience' means that the creators have run out of patient with their audience?

Chez

English English
    Well, when you 'throw up your hands', it is usually in despair or surrender – and, yes, it suggests the creators 'can't be bothered' with the show/the audience any more. This is severe criticism because the author didn't find a particular part of the show entertaining. He seems to think Homer's shrugging his shoulders and saying 'It doesn't have to make sense' is now the creators' attitude.

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    Actually, I'm not sure a show can be exasperated; I think the critic meant by extension its writers.

And Welcome, riverbottom!

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >