Now quietly vs with patience and <impatience> to get clear

longxianchen

chinese
Hi,
Here are some words from the novel Lady Chatterley's Lover(page 119, Chapter 7) by DH Lawrence (planetebook,here):
(background:The following is Connie's feeling. She wants to get rid of Clifford..……)

It was as if thousands and thousands of little roots and threads of consciousness in him and her had grown together into a tangled mass, till they could crowd no more, and the plant was dying. Now quietly, subtly, she was unravelling the tangle of his consciousness and hers, breaking the threads gently, one by one, with patience and impatience to get clear=get rid of Clifford. But the bonds of such love are more ill to loose even than most bonds; though Mrs Bolton’s coming had been a great help.

The blue sentence is a little strange to me. I feel get clear means get rid (of Clifford), but it seems to me that quietly contradicts immpatience, because when a person is impatient, he/she is usually upset/thrilled/excited.

So how should I understand the sentence please?
Thank you in advance

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Quietly = in a manner that drew no attention to herself or her intention.

with patience and impatience
    = with a physical patience and mental impatience

she was unravelling the tangle of his consciousness and hers, breaking the threads gently, one by one, with patience and impatience to get clear [=get rid of {Long}]

--

If I may demur on two points:

Long, 'get clear' does not mean 'get rid of', it means separate permanently (and presumably divorce) from.

Regarding Paul's gloss--
    with patience and impatience = with a physical patience and mental impatience

I'm not sure what 'physical patience' is, or if the distinction is relevant. The simplest reading is that she was unravelling patiently, but was impatient to get clear [separate permanently]

In other words, put a comma after 'patience', so 'impatience' is clearly linked to getting clear.

ADDED: Long, I do not, clearly, agree with the translators you cite in post #3.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Regarding Paul's gloss--
    with patience and impatience = with a physical patience
    Her actions were patient
    and mental impatience
    beneath the surface she is impatient.

As perhaps the saying goes "hurry slowly."

I'm not sure what 'physical patience' is, or if the distinction is relevant. The simplest reading is that she was unravelling patiently, but was impatient to get clear [separate permanently]
    I think you have made the distinction I intended. :thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >