"Now take mileage for instance,"

Jardino

Korean
Topic
Mr Wormwood was a small ratty-looking man whose front teeth stuck out underneath a thin ratty moustache. He liked to wear jackets with large brightly-coloured checks and he sported ties that were usually yellow or pale green. "Now take mileage for instance," he went on. "Anyone who's buying a second-hand car, the first thing he wants to know is how many miles it's done. Right?"
source : Matilda by Royald dahl

I don't know why for instance is there? I understood that sentence like this = ' Now bring the mileage! ' But I don't know what for instance is used for.

• natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    The phrase is take for instance or take for example, which means 'consider this for example'. Here's we are listening to a snippet of what Mr Wormwood says. He is going through the things he does to second-hand cars before he sells them. One of the things he does is to tamper with the mileage (which indicates the number of miles the car has travelled).

Jardino

Korean
    The phrase is take for instance or take for example, which means 'consider this for example'. Here's we are listening to a snippet of what Mr Wormwood says. He is going through the things he does to second-hand cars before he sells them. One of the things he does is to tamper with the mileage (which indicates the number of miles the car has travelled).
    Thank you!

< Previous | Next >