now / whenever / already

< Previous | Next >

AskLang

Filipino
Hello,

You want to tell somebody who is mobile to update you now and then of their location because you are estimating their time of arrival.

Text me where you are now.
Text me where you are now whenever.
Text me where you are already at.
Text me where you are whenever.

I'm also interested in knowing whether now is properly used this way to mean progress or stage where one is in a rush. (You are welcome to correct my errors.)

Thanks so much for your help.

• Text me where you are now.:tick:
    Text me where you are now whenever.:cross:
    Text me where you are already at.:tick: but see below
    Text me where you are whenever.:cross:

The first sentence is fine. It asks a straightforward question about the person's current location.

The second and fourth sentences are not correct. We don't use "whenever" in this way.

The third sentence is OK, but some people don't like the expression "where are you at." Others find it entirely acceptable. Another way to phrase the question is "text me where you already are." Either way, you are asking the same question as in sentence 1: the person's current location.

Note that both correct sentences ask only for the person's location at that moment; they do not ask for ongoing updates on the progress of his travel.

If you want periodic updates as they travel, you have to phrase the question differently. For example, you could say:

Text me your location periodically so I'll know when you're getting close or when you'll be arriving.

< Previous | Next >