Nuff said

< Previous | Next >

Dminor

Dutch, the Netherlands
What does "nuff said" mean? I thought it meant "well spoken", but I just got to know 'nuff' is short for 'enough'. :confused:

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    It does, indeed, mean "enough said", "you have said enough."
    "OK, you don't need to say anything more, I understand the point you are trying to make."
    Enough said?

... and it may also be used interrogatively to ask if the explanation is clear enough:D

Dminor

Dutch, the Netherlands
    Okay, so if you want to say somebody just made a great comment, you don't say 'nuff said'? Isn't there some sort of similar slang way of expressing such, then?

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    Curiously, in the context you've just described, I could imagine "Enough said" to have exactly that meaning (nuff said still = enough said).

Suppose someone you and I were standing chatting somewhere and Henry walked past. We both know Henry.
    Suppose you said something really clever and concise that completely characterised Henry and all his little quirks and foibles.
    I might very well reply,"Enough said," as a compliment.

Dminor

Dutch, the Netherlands
    Ah okay, but doesn't that work both ways? Can't it either mean a compliment (enough said: that covers it all!), or a negative comment (enough said: I don't want to hear any more of this rubbish)?

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    Hmmm.
    Maybe I don't move in sufficiently negative circles:D - but I'm having trouble imagining this said in a negative context. Others may have more imagination.

< Previous | Next >