Nullify? unvalidate?

Rigardo Lee

Hello, it's Ric.

I'm quite at a loss as to what word would fit the best in the following 'technician, business' context. :) Thanks in advance.

Unauthorized repair or modifications to the product without manufacturers’ approval ___________ the warranty coverage.

A : may null
B : may unvalidate
C : void

What would sound perfect for native ears? Better suggestions always welcome.

• manfy

German - Austria
    I've seen "void the warranty" more often. (And I'm probably one of the few strange people who actually reads the warranty certificate after having spent money on some high tech gadget. :rolleyes:)
    Maybe that's the preferred choice in AE? But it doesn't really matter because void and invalidate have the same meaning in this context.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    The word "coverage" sounds unnatural. I would remove it. You void or invalidate the warranty, not the warranty coverage.

Option A is not good, we don't use the verb "null" in this context. We could use is as an adjective, and there is a popular collocation "null and void", so we could say "... may render the warranty null and void".

Option B is fine, provided "unvalidate" is corrected to "invalidate".

In option C, using just the verb "void" sounds odd. I would expect either "will void" or "may void".

< Previous | Next >