Number and Symbols Keyboard vs. Numbers and Symbols Keyboard

1Ton

English - UK
I have written a guide that has in it a keyboard shortcut for a tablet. The user will be using this shortcut on an on-screen alphabet keyboard on their tablet. When the user executes this shortcut on the on-screen alphabet keyboard, a keyboard that only has numbers and symbols on it will appear on the screen.

In my written instructions, I have referred to this on-screen keyboard that has the numbers and symbols on it as the "number and symbols keyboard".

Here’s the instruction I wrote:

Tap and hold down the Shift key and then tap the spacebar to display the number and symbols keyboard.

My question is, is it correct to refer to this on-screen keyboard that has the numbers and symbols on it as the number and symbols keyboard? Or should it be referred to as the numbers and symbols keyboard?

Also, what about an on-screen keyboard that only has numbers on it. Can an on-screen keyboard that only has numbers on it be referred to as a number keyboard? Or is it better to refer to such a keyboard as a numeric keyboard?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
  • Egmont

English - U.S.
    You can call it either a "numbers and symbols keyboard" or a "number and symbol keyboard," but you should be consistent in how you treat the two categories. Use singular for both, or use plural for both, but don't mix them.

With physical keyboards, a small keyboard that has only numbers, and is often located to the right of the main keyboard, is called a numeric pad. I would therefore use numeric keyboard for its on-screen version.

< Previous | Next >