nurse carriers

Camlearner

Khmer
Hi

In this sentence, Daschner135 found that S. aureus could be recovered from the hands of 21% of ICU caregivers and that 21% of doctors and 5% of nurse carriers had >103 CFU of the organism on their hands. What does nurse carriers mean ??

Thank you

• msmadrid

English - American
    Hi

In this sentence, Daschner135 found that S. aureus could be recovered from the hands of 21% of ICU caregivers and that 21% of doctors and 5% of nurse carriers had >103 CFU of the organism on their hands. What does nurse carriers mean ??

Thank you

In this context nurse carriers means, 5% of the nurses carried > 103 CFU of S. aureus organisms on their hands. The author could have also added carriers to the ICU caregivers and doctors. Note: caregivers and doctors would then be singular.

Daschner135 found that S. aureus could be recovered from the hands of 21% of ICU caregiver carriers and that 21% of doctor carriers and 5% of nurse carriers had >103 CFU of the organism on their hands.

I'm assuming that the author was avoiding reduncancy by using the word carriers only once at the end of his findings.

Camlearner

Khmer
    Thank you msmadrid.

Can I say like a synonym phrase, You mean nurse carriers here mean nurses who are infected with the virus S. aureus ? I'm still not sure nurse carriers here is refer to people noun or action noun? Because if it is action noun, in this sentence : "Daschner135 found that S. aureus could be recovered from the hands of 21% of ICU caregiver carriers and that 21% of doctor carriers and 5% of nurse carriers had >103 CFU of the organism on their hands." the word hands of and ICU caregiver carriers, doctor carriers and carriers nurse carriers don't look logic according to grammar becauase noun action can't have hands ?

Loob

English UK
    Hi Camlearner

"Nurse carriers" means "carriers who were nurses".

"Carrier" here has meaning 3 in the WR English dictionary:
    carrier/ˈkariə(r)/
    noun
    • 3 a person or animal that transmits a disease-causing organism to others, especially without suffering from it themselves.

Camlearner

Khmer
    Tank you Loob. Finally it's simple word??!!

First I almost start to think that nurse carrier mean nursing cart or trolley in the hospital.

msmadrid

English - American
    Hi Camlearner,

As Loob posted, carriers is being used as a noun in your example. Nurse is used as an adjective. Please note that nurse can also be used as a noun or a verb.

The nurse took the patient's temperature. (noun)
    His wife will nurse him back to health (verb) .....meaning that a wife will take care of her husband until he is healthy again.

Nurse carriers COULD also mean a trolley that transports nurses from part of a large hospital to another part of the hospital.

It's all in the context:) Hope I didn't confuse you too much!

Camlearner

Khmer
    Thank you msmadrid. No you don't confuse me but you teach me more. English words use is very changeable. LIke you say, It's all in the context:)

< Previous | Next >